Tuesday, September 6, 2011

New Symptom: Migraines...

To start I just want to tell myself "I told you so...". This weekend while tailgating for the UT football game I decided to have what were claimed as "gluten-free" fries from the food trailer sponsoring our MBA tailgate. I spoke with the cook before ordering anything (it was all free) and they explained that the fries were only fried along with tofu, so I could get them plain. Well when they came out they were not just plain but had a spice on them...

My gut screamed MSG, MSG at me but of course I didn't listen this one time. I have never had a slip-up with MSG before but I know as a Celiac we are supposed to stay away from it. About half-way through the game I started getting a terrible headache and by the ride home (3rd quarter) I could hardly stand it. There were no digestive problems oddly but I was up until 5am with a knife sticking out of my head...and now a couple of days later I'm getting a bit of a red rash on my hands.

I inquire to other Celiac and gluten-free patients out there - have you had these types of reactions? If so, are there are ingredients that specifically cause symptoms other than those that are digestive? Please help!

1 comment:

  1. Yes!! Migraines and the described "knife in the head" feeling is common. I've gotten those "knife headaches" since age 2. Migraines, nausea, vomitting, upset stomach, an overall "yucky" feeling, even depression and anxiety are all symptoms of eating gluten when you're not supposed to! I've been gluten free for 1 year and 7 months and the more I strictly adhere to the diet, the more severe symptoms I get when I cheat...I'm at the point where I can't cheat anymore without paying the price of it taking me 4 days to get back to normal functioning and feeling.

    ReplyDelete