Tuesday, March 1, 2011

G-Free in Pittsburgh

This past weekend I went to visit my brother in Pittsburgh. I was so excited, but of course had the normal hesitations when it came to eating. We did some research beforehand, but still didn't have a great grasp on the options. Here's how it went:

Arrived Thursday - for dinner Dan made me a gluten-free buffalo chicken dip with corn tortillas, it was awesome

Friday -
We had lunch at Walnut Grill (http://www.eatwalnut.com/) they don't have a g-free menu but were actually really helpful and the waitress knew what it meant. I got the Chicken Entree with very few substitutions necessary.

Dinner was a Typhoon (http://www.typhoonpgh.com/) and it was fantastic. Most of the menu could be made gluten-free, and some entrees didn't even need substitutions. I got a starter salad (had to get a different dressing) and then the chicken pad thai. Very highly recommended!

Saturday -
We were all about town on Friday so we ended up hitting Houlihans (http://www.houlihans.com/menus/nutrition.pdf - everything with a "G"), mainly because it was the best option in Station Square. They had a huge g-free menu and I could eat the fries there! I had fries and the chicken salad with regular ranch but no croutons or bun (obviously).

Unfortunately Saturday I got sick, so I either got a little something at Houlihans or the wine (or glass) that we had at the restaurant or at a hill-top lounge later gave me a smidgen.

Saturday night we planned on celebrating my dad's birthday, they drove in from Cleveland! Unfortunately we didn't have a great plan. We went for drinks at The Church Brew Works (http://www.churchbrew.com/) it was one of the coolest restaurants I've been to, and when talking to a manager I found out that they have quite a few g-free options. That wasn't our plan though and I'm not a big meat fan (it was German themed) so we got some buffalo wings then headed to Plum (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/23/1469424/restaurant/East-Liberty/Plum-Pan-Asian-Kitchen-Pittsburgh). Now this is not one of the places that popped up on any of our searches, but when we called they said they had a gluten-free menu.

Unfortunately, the gluten free menu was only a couple appetizers and salads (not my type either). So...I got upset and asked the waiter if they could adjust any entrees and was told no...with a few tears (I know embarrassing) the owner came over and said they could make something. I ended up with veggies with peanut sauce and a bowl of rice. Not the best meal...:(

Sunday -
We only really had time for a late breakfast/early lunch and went to a very local place called Oh Yeah (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/23/661593/restaurant/Shadyside/Oh-Yeah-Ice-Cream-and-Coffee-Co-Pittsburgh) - they had a gluten-free cinnamon waffle that was the best I've had so far. They had toppings, think Amy's Ice Cream but for waffles, and I got applesauce. It was fantastic.

Overall it was a great trip! I won't get into too many more non-food related details but we hit up the Carnegie Art and Natural Science museums and the Andy Warhol museum. We took the incline and went out in ShadySide. So much fun! Can't wait to go back in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment