Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My Favorite Appliance - The Microwave

So, I have been gluten-free for almost three months now and have been determined from the beginning to find some items that I am able to microwave. Now please note - for the most part these items are not labeled as "gluten-free" because most of those meals tend to turn to mush in the microwave and everything has the texture of something whipped up in the blender (follow the oven instructions).

However, I have found a few choice items (I'll warn you it is a FEW) that can be quickly and easily microwaved, and I have come to eat these things more often than I'd like to admit.

These include:

- Thai Kitchen 'Take-Out' Meals - there are 3 flavors that are labeled as gluten free, they are the Pad Thai, Thai Basil and Chili and the Ginger and Sweet Chili. These are awesome!
- Amy's Frozen Rice Macaroni and Cheese
- Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sausage Patties (check the label there are multiple) - I have now used these in breakfast tacos and as the meat for my marinara sauce

** I forgot one in the first post: Ian's Wafflewich breakfast sandwiches, yumm

Some items which you CAN microwave, but as I said earlier taste a little funky and I wouldn't recommend it:

- Ian's french fries and turkey corn dogs
- Any gluten-free frozen pizza (personal size)
- Chicken Nuggets (covered with non-wheat breadcrumbs)
- Van's waffles

I'll keep looking, as I said 3 months and just a few items - my mission continues. Let me know if you find something that has microwave directions and is g-free!!


2 comments:

  1. Van's All-Natural Gluten-Free Breakfast Waffles - (found in the frozen food section of Whole Foods and other natural foods stores) The waffles come in different flavors and are really delicious! Our favorite at home is blueberry :)

    Here is a link to a blog about Van's Waffles - http://gfedge.wordpress.com/2010/02/01/van%E2%80%99s-all-natural-waffles/

    Amy's Black Bean Enchiladas - (found in the frozen foods section of most Whole Foods stores and other natural foods stores) the Amy's line of products is great and they offer many microwavable dishes that are gluten-free and tasty! Here is a link to Amy's other products - http://www.amys.com/products/category_view.php?prod_category=4

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Amy's Enchiladas...there are several kinds and they are all tasty! You can find them at HEB in Westlake, too, as well as Sun Harvest (they are cheaper at HEB). Yum!

    ReplyDelete