Sunday, October 3, 2010

8 weeks down...forever to go...

So, it's been 8 weeks since I got diagnosed with Celiac Disease - just as a reminder to all of my readers that means no wheat, rye, barley, oats or any derivatives of those ingredients. To prepare for my 8 week appointment I had to get blood drawn to measure my levels and see how I'm doing...according to the doctor they have definitely gone down but are still inflated :(

After some research I learned that most doctors don't test until it has been 6 months because it takes that long to really bring the levels of gluten in my system down. I did learn that my next blood test won't be until 6 months, phew. For anyone who doesn't know I am VERY phobic of needles and it is always a production to get blood drawn/shots, etc.

I have decided that I officially need to start vitamins. A couple of posts ago I mentioned that I have had some absentmindedness and eye twitching. I learned that the absentmindedness comes down to a lack of some essential B vitamins while the eye twitching is a lack of magnesium which is unfortunately found mainly in seafood and wheat products (figures). My mom has ordered me a gluten-free vitamin through Shaklee so I'll let you know in a couple weeks if I think it's working!!

To summarize, all of the research I've been doing has paid off because my body is responding positively. Hopefully I can keep it up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment