Tuesday, September 14, 2010

It's Easier NOT to Eat

Six weeks ago I was eating Lean Cuisine's for 2/3 meals a day and counting on Starbucks reduced-fat very berry coffee cake for breakfast. That all changed when my doctor FINALLY diagnosed all of my symptoms as Celiac's Disease. What was I going to do??! Not eat? That seemed like the best option...but being the Type A personality that I am I decided to hit the web.

To give a little back story, I'd been having symptoms such as severe stomach aches, fatigue, nausea, headaches...the works really. After ruling out ulcers, gall bladder diease, thyroid, pancreas and liver disfunction and even cancer (phew) my biopsy showed possible Celiac Disease. After a very simple blood test (I have a VERY strong phobia against needles so no blood work is simple) it was official, that was my future.

I learned that I had to stop eating gluten right away, and that I wouldn't be able to eat it the rest of  my life or I could get a plethora of diseases ranging from cancer to infertility...the doctor definitely instilled the fear in me. So...the easiest place to start was Google, but I found that my odd eating habits did not = the pages of recipes (I can cook spaghetti?) and the fact that I don't eat beef or seafood really put in a tough spot.

For all of the picky eaters out there, and those who just want to feel better (I'm still skeptical), I wanted to start this blog and share everything I've learned from not only the chain restaurants but the local restaurants in Austin that offer gluten-free and are very helpful when you show up to eat there. I'm a fitness buff on top of it so I'll share how my diet changes have changed my body and its reactions to working out.

Enjoy and I hope this helps Celiac's both new and old!!

No comments:

Post a Comment