Tuesday, September 14, 2010

G-Free Birthday Spot - Brick Oven on Brodie

So, if nothing else, on my birthday I want a HUGE unhealthy meal with a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio to wash it down. When I found out I couldn't eat my favorite food, Italian, I was crushed (that is an understatement). I was determined to find Italian food in this city that I could eat AND tasted good. Here are my rankings...

  1. Brick Oven - Brodie Lane - the general manager is a Celiac and they have mirrored their ENTIRE menu (minus 1-2 items) in gluten-free form. If you know anything, this is a feat, especially since they have a separate kitchen which avoids cross-contamination. When I say everything I mean pizza, pastas, sandwiches, salads and desserts! Here I come 27 :)
  2. The Grove - 360 and Bee Cave - okay although this is called The Grove wine bar I have to admit that it's more Italian than anything else. They not only make all but a few pizzas g-free but also their pastas. They have g-free crackers if you want cheese...and of course a fantastic wine selection.
  3. Austin's Pizza - The pizza is great AND their BBQ and hot wings are also g-free. Great for delivery and drunk eating (think after a long day of tailgating and football)
I've heard a couple other options in Romeo's and Southside Flying Pizza but don't have a personal opinion - so watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment