Sunday, October 9, 2011

Gluten/Allergen Free Expo Recap

Last weekend I made the trip to Dallas for the GFAF Expo - and it was AMAZING! I have to say too that I haven't been that full in awhile, you can't not try every single gluten-free food on display. For the first time since I was diagnosed I felt totally comfortable talking about Celiac Disease. Being around people who live with it, understand it and care about it was so nice.



I want to thank Kim Koeller (GlutenFree Passport) and Joel Warady (Enjoy Life Foods) especially for sitting down with me to chat about how they got involved in the gluten-free industry and where they think the growth and needs are going. Both have done so much for the industry and I feel very lucky to have met them. I cannot wait to finish school and start working in it myself.

There were so many highlights. I was impressed by many of the foods, especially some of the local items. What does seem to be a trend is that there are many bakeries/bread items as substitutes and not as much in the form of meals. I was able to find the best bread so far from Local Oven that is located in the Dallas area:


Thank goodness that Subway was there as well because I've been so curious about their gluten-free test. Of course I was wondering how they were training the sandwich artists, handling cross contamination, etc. and the head of the effort, Micki Winterburn, was more than willing to chat about it. So far they are in only a couple of markets, including Dallas, and we all cannot wait for a nation-wide release so I'm hoping the test is successful:


Finally, one of the biggest highlights was just talking to so many people about their experiences, symptoms, diagnosis stories and the ways they handle their gluten-free diet. I actually felt lucky because I was one of a few who only has a gluten problem, many others have eggs, soy, nuts and more in addition to being gluten-free. I cannot wait to go next year!

2 comments:

  1. Great recap! It was a wonderful event!I was at the Meals In A Minute booth showcasing our gourmet Thai Sauces that happen to be naturally gluten free! We had great sales, wonderful stories from our new friends and I had a great time at the HoDown! I'm in the pic above in the black dress on the corner of our booth.

    I'm hoping to find some additional folks in the Dallas area who want to get a Gluten Free Food Bank started!

    Let me know if I can help you find your way in this new gluten free frontier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!! I saw you follow my twitter, @livinggfree - I know being a student and on-the-go can pose a difficult challenge trying to live a gfree lifestyle!! Some of the things I love to have on me at work/school is gfree pretzels, regular potato chips, gfree crackers (anything quick and easy to snack on in case the next gfree meal is not just around the corner!!) i have some great brands to try that i can get the info for you...dunno if you've tried Udi's gfree white bread, but that's great! and they have coupons on their website. One of the best tricks I've learned is to use meat as a quick substitute for starch ....salad is great, but not always filling but it's really fast, easy to pan cook some spiced chicken and throw it on top for a more filling meal and that's great to bring to work/school! i don't know if you are a cereal junkie but Fruity Pebbles is gfree!! let's you have that moment of "i'm eating sugary starch that isn't good for me feeling" again. Good luck!! not always easy!!!

    ReplyDelete