Friday, January 14, 2011

Work Weekend in San Diego

So I was told that San Diego was a great city for Celiacs....unfortunately I had a little more trouble than expected when trying to find a gluten-free location for dinners. There is a website called glutenfreeinsd.com but unfortunately it doesn't have a map! So....since I didn't know the neighborhoods or locations it took a lot of Googling and clicking back and forth to find something that would suffice.

Finally I found a restaurant chain called Sammy's Woodfire Grill. It is a very casual pizza-type place but I ate there both Saturday and Sunday because they had the best hummus and great g-free pizza crust. Their menu can be found here: http://www.sammyspizza.com/SWP-SD-LVGlutenFree7.1.10.pdf for anyone who wants to look it over.

This trip definitely proved to me what all of the books talk about, that being the desire to stay in your comfort zone of food (Austin) where you know what restaurants are OK, where they are and who will cooperate with my special dietary needs.

It also made me realize there is a huge need in our market for a company who creates websites such as glutenfreeinsd.com BUT utilizes more web features such as mapping, directions and menu postings. If I knew that I could go to any major city and have that at my fingertips it would be a huge relief. I know most of you are reading this and saying "what about Yelp or Urbanspoon?" Those are great but they are not written and collaborative with Celiac patients, therefore, they are not providing information from a point of view that truly understands the frustration. So...if anyone is looking for a great start-up idea there it is!

I have to say that moving forward research is key. Instead of being starving and desperate to find something good to eat I would hit up Google, blogs and maps before leaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment