Friday, January 14, 2011

Birthday Eating Success!! 3 Great Days of Food...

My birthday is an extension of the holidays. Turning 27 I wanted to make sure, as every year, that I got to celebrate with everyone I care about. So, I planned 3 different birthday celebrations and feel so great about all of the great food I got to eat!

Tuesday: Dinner with Mike - cooking in. We went to Whole Foods and went crazy getting ingredients and vegetables for stir-fry. With a base of rice noodles we got peppers, carrots, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, baby corn and onions to create a fantastic combination of colors. From there we found a fantastic asian stir fry sauce (they have a lot of gluten free at WF). Adding spices and a jalapeno was the icing on top of the cake and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Wednesday: Lunch with MyEdu at Cantina Laredo. Big excitement = queso and chips!! I was able to get their skinny margarita, chips and queso and choose from a number of entrees. Their fajitas, tacos and camerones are all gluten-free along with all beans and rice as side dishes. I forgot to take a snap shot of the menu for "Off the Menu" but will next time.

Thursday: Dinner with friends at The Grove Wine Bar. This is probably my favorite place to eat out because it's a wine bar (duh) and they are very aware of gluten insensitivity. The owner came out to our table and made a special cheese plate with gluten free crackers for snacking. From there I ordered the gorgonzola and rosemary chicken pasta and it was FANTASTIC. To finish it off, little did I know, that my mom had contacted them earlier in the day to let them know that a gluten-free dessert would really make the night, so I got g-free brownies with whipped cream and strawberries on top. It was great :)

It has been a rough year going through the tests to find out about my Celiac Disease and adjusting to the changes. I feel that I am finally getting a good grasp on how to handle everything and am looking forward to this year being a bit smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment