Thursday, February 16, 2012

G-Free and the Austin Marathon



This weekend marks the Austin Marathon and Half Marathon for 2012! Last year I decided to take on the half marathon to raise money for a local charity, Colin's Hope. Although I love their cause and wanted to run with them again this year, my MBA distracted me from fundraising and volunteering so I'm on my own. Many told me that after I ran a half for the first time (last year) that I would be driven to run the full 26.2 next...that did not happen. So, I plan on embarking this weekend on 13.1 miles with a fresh new playlist.

They tell you to carbo-load the evening before (okay maybe just eat a healthy meal full of vitamins/minerals but I prefer the excuse to have carbs) so my plan is to venture over to Brick Oven on 35th to have some of their fantastic gluten-free pasta, a Caesar salad and maybe a glass of wine if I'm feeling confident in the amount of water I'd forced down beforehand. After getting nice and full of energy I'll get a good night's sleep and wake up bright and early.

Gu is the preferred brand of energy snack for runners, and I've found that 24 of their items are gluten-free (almost all!). You can find the gluten-free items here. I have some Gu Chomps ready and waiting for me. If I'm lucky I'll then be able to find a group of runners to join me for lunch and a mimosa to celebrate our success! I wish everyone good luck and am determined to finish in less than 2.5 hours :)

1 comment:

  1. Update! I finished in 2:26 - 2 minutes faster than last year...with LESS training! So excited to be done, but my legs needs some time to recover :)

    ReplyDelete