Sunday, November 7, 2010

Three months and public outings are still enemy #1!

So, this post is kind of a downer, but for anyone who reads along and is going through a similar situation maybe it'll help you realize that you aren't alone feeling this way!

From the beginning the hardest thing for me has been going out for the day in public places. It forces me to get outside of my comfort zone and live with the uncertainty of when and what I will eat next. I've done my best in situations where I've prepared ahead of time, for example, bringing my own food to ACL and for out of town gymnastics judging trips, but others such as festivals and tailgating for games are another story. Unfortunately, this preparedness also only solves one of the problems...the food, the other is my feelings and frustrations and those continue to be very present.

I love all of my friends and want to say yes to all social events, but it is very hard to do so when I know it will be a mental challenge for me to be around them in a setting where food is the center of attention. For example, last night we went to Wurstfest. Alea and Brett rented a van that was leaving Austin at 3pm and returning around 10pm - to someone who constantly must think ahead this makes you feel quite trapped!!

Anyway, I came prepared with some snacks, but there was no way to heat anything up, so dinner was kind of a bust. Wurstfest, for those of you who aren't familiar, is a festival celebrating German food and drink (beer). Everyone was eating brats, snacks, fried foods, etc. none of which were safe for me. I hate being a downer in front of my friends so I put on a brave face, but when everyone is enjoying their yummy food it's very hard!! I struggle with the balance between wanting to have fun with my friends and do what's best for myself. I will admit it HAS gotten easier but is still not comfortable.

So, I share this because it's been over 3 months and this is the very hardest thing about my lifestyle change to gluten-free so far. Other Celiac friends please let me know if you have any other hints as to how to make this easier!!! To all MY friends, please know that I'm doing my best and don't be offended if I say no to attending the next food festival :)

3 comments:

  1. You can still enjoy hanging out with your friends Jaime, no matter where you guys are. Whether that be a gluten filled restaurant or a gluten-free food festival. Just keep your head up and prepare ahead of time with plenty of gluten-free options. I always have a GF peanut butter sandwich in my purse with multiple protein bars and ziploc bags of trail mix. That way I can eat something if I am starving and there is nothing to eat at the restaurant. Educate all your friends on what is going on. That way they won't ask a million questions and you become more relaxed. It is hard at first but you will get the hang out it. If you need help with restaurant suggestions, email me! --best of luck. Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,

    Thanks so much. I've come very far, but honestly it's not as much that I don't have food or am hungry but mentally I just have a hard time being in those situations. I'm sure it'll get better with time!! Luckily my friends care a lot and have been reading my blog :)

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still get mad about every other week when going through the grocery store for my weekly big run. But for some reason, I have really been able to find a zen spot about going out with friends (or even going to a friend's house for a gathering) and being able to eat a very small number of things. My friends have been pretty good about having at least something I can eat when they host an event I am attending, but I don't expect them to make EVERYTHING GF and I can honestly just smile, nibble what I can, and shrug the rest off. Hope you find that place for yourself soon. I found it initially by making jokes about it (like asking for a bite of something and then chastising them when they absent-mindedly said "sure"). Depends on your sense of humor though.

    ReplyDelete