Thursday, July 19, 2012

G-Free Weekend in San Antonio

Last weekend I traveled down I35 to San Antonio to spend some time with my parents. My dad was in town for a fraternity convention and of course my mom couldn't pass up the opportunity to be so close to me and hang out :) "Frat camp" (as it was referred to) was at the Grand Hyatt on the Riverwalk and was quite the event.

As usual I had done my research and unfortunately didn't get very far. I shot emails out to a number of restaurants and only heard back from one! So...that's the one we went to, it is called Barriba Cantina.

From the email I was told that "most" of the menu was gluten-free - which I hate - but since it was my only response it was the deciding factor...plus I saw that they were owned by County Line where I have always had success in Austin. Unfortunately, I got sick. Now, I cannot pinpoint what it would've been because it was a minor attack so I want to say it was more likely cross-contamination or maybe a sauce thickener they are unaware of? Regardless, I ordered tacos, chips & queso and a margarita. In the end it could've very well been the taste of my dad's margarita with Grand Marnier in it (but then again that is listed as a safe alcohol, so I don't know). Suffice it to say, we went to bed early that night.

The next day we were determined to aim for safety so we went with fruit for breakfast and then decided that Achiote at the hotel would be the safest bet from that point forward (they had gotten back to me later, AND I called - they knew EVERYTHING - awesome). I was able to speak to a chef on duty who had worked for a Celiac GM previously so he was well aware. For lunch I successfully got a turkey and avocado wrap with cucumber salad, for dinner a burger with gluten-free bread and fresh french fries, and for breakfast on Sunday eggs, bacon, gluten-free bread and fruit.

Bottom-line - I am now destined to stay at the Grand Hyatt each and every time I am in San Antonio! I want to thank them for their help and hospitality. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment