Wednesday, December 7, 2011

My G-Free Future...?

This week we have finals for the full-time MBA program, which is the unspoken signal that we should start to think about summer internships and future careers. Most of the individuals in my class are switching careers, industries and even discovering brand-new opportunities, which leave us all feeling a little lost and overwhelmed by the potential we've got. They tell us a top 20 program will get us in the door, but first we need to decide what door we wish to knock on.

When I started my MBA application I was dedicated to going back into higher education (I was working for www.myedu.com) but then I got diagnosed, right before completing my essays. After a month I realized that this is what would now drive my life, I switched all of my essays around, and I not only dealt with it but became truly passionate about learning and teaching others how to make the best of this crappy diagnosis. At that time I started my blog and have been pondering how to make gluten-free a "career" ever since.

In a world dominated by doctors and dieticians I feel as if an MBA could make an impact that wasn't originally foreseen by the people who run Living Without and Celiac.com so I've made it my mission to get into lifestyle marketing for the gluten-free community. The question is...how? I've had the opportunity to speak with and conduct informational interviews with individuals such as Kim Koeller with GlutenFreePassport.com, individuals from Enjoy Life Foods and Mary's Gone Crackers and even dietitians in the Austin area.

What I've realized is that I have the personal experience, a lot of marketing background and about .25 of an MBA so I could provide a lot to this industry in some way or another. Ideally, I'd love to take G-Free in the City to the next level (and am in the works) but I've decided that my summer internship should be dedicated to learning the business and market side of things from within the walls. So my goal is to find one of the special dietary CPG companies, a large conglomerate who has a goal of expanding their product line, a local business or an amazing publication that serves the community and convince them to take me under their wing for the summer.

That being said, I've got an uphill battle. Such a niche industry takes a lot of hard work to break into, but I'm dedicated and determined so wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment