Monday, December 12, 2011

It's Holiday Season Again...

Last year was my first holiday season as a Celiac and I survived...but it wasn't easy, so this year I approach the hardest time of the year with a little hesitation and a hope that it doesn't bring me down. As you can imagine social situations are tough, and the holidays are FULL of them. Starting with holiday parties (I'm hosting my own this year with gluten-free only foods!), the visit home where my family must go out of their way to find me separate meals for both Christmas Eve and Christmas, New Year's Eve party snacks and finally culminating in my birthday on January 8th.

I know I can't help it but it is very hard to go home for a couple days. Again, it's not that my family minds putting together a separate meal for me, or even making dishes for everyone that are gluten-free, but I can't help but feel like I'm putting everyone out. It takes a lot of work to find a turkey that is gluten-free (not all of them are), to make cookies with strange flour mixes when I'll only eat a handful and having me say no when they have worked so hard on a recipe but didn't know that a given ingredient had a "secret" troublesome ingredient. 

On top of this, I dread the stress. Although I know I'll have something to eat no matter what, it gives me anxiety to be away from Austin where I have a kitchen full of safe food and a city full of restaurants that I know cater to gluten-free customers, especially for 6 days! I wish I could make every city just like Austin!!

While I feel this on the inside, I work hard to stay positive since Christmas is my favorite time of year (despite the above). I've put up my Christmas tree, am throwing a party and hopefully will get to see my high school girls when I get home. Lucky for me I do have a support system that many others don't, and most of the time I am the only one that has to worry about my diet. I will give full credit to my family, my friends throwing New Year's Eve bashes and everyone willing to take me to the restaurant with the best gluten-free menu for my birthday. 

This time of year is the hardest, but it is for many of us, so if you feel like me keep your chin up and look at some pretty Christmas lights, they will always make you smile!

1 comment:

  1. I like to bring enough GF goodies to share. And I mean really good ones so that no one feels sorry for me or put out. Well, maybe they're put out because my GF food is as good or even better than the regular stuff!

    ReplyDelete