Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Weed as a means to alleviate gluten mistakes?

I will start with a disclaimer in that I am simply sharing some information, not advising anyone!

Okay, so I know you are reading this because I said weed in the title, but seriously...what is the best way to alleviate symptoms when you 'get gluten-ed'? There are a number of medical marijuana states that say Celiac Disease diagnosis qualifies you for a card. I know this is a controversial topic, but it's worth sharing because let's face it when you get sick you will do almost anything and it isn't talked about much. According to the PharmCannabis.com website marijuana can be used to treat many symptoms including nausea and pain and can even slow down the digestive system to provide some relief. There have also been a series of articles justifying the same.

I found this information when I was trying to figure out how to avoid being stuck in the bathroom after eating a very unfortunate meal. I have never smoked weed and do not plan to start, but it could be a viable option for anyone who cannot seem to find other alternatives and live in a state where it is legal to alleviate symptoms in this way. Here are a number of forums that discuss the topic:

The Ann Arbor Chronicle
MedHelp
Celiac.com
Celiac Home Test
Yahoo! Answers

Now that the debatable topic is out of the way I also wanted to share other remedies that I found from fellow Celiac patients while perusing the web, these include:

- a shot of tequila
- digestive enzymes (not well defined what this means)
- forced vomiting
- Mint Tea
- Ginger
- Cider vinegar
- Slippery Elm powder
- Marshmallow root
- Benadryl/Claritin

As you can see there is no easy solution and no easy remedy except trying any or all of the above and waiting it out. Hopefully down the line a pharmaceutical company will save us all with a pill that works quickly, efficiently and can be found in the drug store!

If you are reading this and have found a great solution, or one of the above that works well please comment and help us all!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jamie! I know how you feel. I was diagnosed with celiac disease in late 2011. It is so hard to stay gluten free as well as deal with the pains and other bs that come along with the autoimmune disease. Marijuana helps drastically! When I smoke I feel hungry and more able to eat the bland foods we have to deal with. It also relieves the cramps, calms my nausea, and it helped with me depression alot. If you do not like smoking it, you could also make teas, and even gluten free baking. Like special gf brownies.

    -stefan.

    ReplyDelete