Sunday, July 31, 2011

One-Year Later...

Today marks the one-year anniversary of my Celiac diagnosis. I feel like I accomplished something this year...not just a gluten-free diet but an entire life change that has effected not only myself but also my friends, family, co-workers and various restaurant staff members.

After my diagnosis one year ago I was lost and unsure of how I would handle this on top of everything else that occupied my time, however, I discovered the world of blogging and everything took a turn for the better. My biggest challenges are were those within myself. Feeling self-conscious, annoying, out of place, frustrated...I could go on. Blogging has allowed me to step outside of my head and put my feelings out there with an added bonus of helping others along the way.

On July 31, 2010 I could have never imagined that Austin would have over 80 locations with gluten-free options (and growing) or that I could find friends and acquaintances that are struggling with the same lifestyle as I am. This diagnosis has made me realize how much everyone I surround myself with cares about me. I never could have guessed that I would receive the amount of support I've gotten: calling restaurants, sending me g-free food, mentioning g-free menus and simply being there when I've gotten upset and overwhelmed by a situation.

My own confidence and security isn't the only thing I've gotten from this experience, I have had the pleasure of teaching people everyday about Celiac disease and the gluten-free lifestyle. You don't know how many times people have asked me to elaborate, explain and teach them about what it means and how to handle it. That expansion of knowledge and learning can only help with the development of menus, products and even someday...a cure.

I'm about to embark on a new journey this year as an MBA student, which means I have another 300 people to teach about Celiac disease :) As some of them already know, I will have to bring my lunch every day, call ahead when we go out, and bug the McCombs staff for information group outings...but I feel so much better about it now. I no longer fear that I won't find anything to eat, will starve or will not be supported by those around me. My goal is to continue blogging and expanding my knowledge base through my blog and Twitter account, as well as establish some connections to move into the gluten-free world "officially" when I graduate school.

Thank you for all of the support from my best friends to my readers. It has meant the world to me and I hope what I have shared has made a positive impact on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment